Download This Version in Microsoft Word format
TO CREATE THE SOUTH CAROLINA STUDY COMMITTEE ON CURRENT LIMITS OF LIABILITY AND UNINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE TO EXAMINE THE SUFFICIENCY OF REQUIRED LIMITS IN AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE POLICIES.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. (A) There is created the South Carolina Study Committee on Current Limits of Liability and Uninsured Motorist Coverage to examine the sufficiency of required limits in automobile insurance policies.
(B) The committee must be comprised of:
(1) one member of the House of Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives;
(2) one member of the House of Representatives appointed by the Chairman of the Labor, Commerce, and Industry Committee;
(3) one member of the House of Representatives appointed by the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee;
(4) one member of the Senate appointed by the President of the Senate;
(5) one member of the Senate appointed by the Chairman of the Banking and Insurance Committee;
(6) one member of the Senate appointed by the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee;
(7) the President of the Board of Governors of the South Carolina Association for Justice, or his designee;
(8) the President of the Board of Directors of the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association, or his designee;
(9) the South Carolina Director of Insurance, or his designee; and
(10) one member appointed by the Governor.
(C) The committee will evaluate:
(1) the current liability and uninsured motorist policy limits and whether adjustments would be beneficial; and
(2) whether uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverage should be combined into one mandatory coverage.
(D) The committee shall issue a report of its findings to the General Assembly by January 1, 2022, at which time the committee is dissolved.
(E) Administrative assistance, as needed, must be provided by the appropriate legislative committee staff.
SECTION 2. This joint resolution takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on May 13, 2021 at 11:52 AM