South Carolina General Assembly
125th Session, 2023-2024
Download This Bill in Microsoft Word Format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Reps. Sandifer, Hardee and Anderson
Companion/Similar bill(s): 544
Document Path: LC-0190PH23.docx
Introduced in the House on February 16, 2023
Introduced in the Senate on March 30, 2023
Currently residing in the House
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
|Date||Body||Action Description with journal page number|
|2/16/2023||House||Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 13)|
|2/16/2023||House||Referred to Committee on Labor, Commerce and Industry (House Journal-page 13)|
|2/23/2023||House||Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Anderson|
|3/28/2023||House||Committee report: Favorable Labor, Commerce and Industry (House Journal-page 13)|
|3/29/2023||House||Read second time (House Journal-page 21)|
|3/29/2023||House||Roll call Yeas-101 Nays-0 (House Journal-page 21)|
|3/30/2023||House||Read third time and sent to Senate (House Journal-page 32)|
|3/30/2023||Senate||Introduced and read first time (Senate Journal-page 9)|
|3/30/2023||Senate||Referred to Committee on Banking and Insurance (Senate Journal-page 9)|
|5/3/2023||Senate||Committee report: Favorable Banking and Insurance (Senate Journal-page 13)|
|5/8/2023||Scrivener's error corrected|
|5/11/2023||Senate||Read second time (Senate Journal-page 153)|
|5/11/2023||Senate||Roll call Ayes-43 Nays-0 (Senate Journal-page 153)|
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
May 3, 2023
Introduced by Reps. Sandifer, Hardee and Anderson
S. Printed 05/03/23--S. [SEC 5/8/2023 9:01 AM]
Read the first time March 30, 2023
The committee on SENATE BANKING AND INSURANCE
To who was referred a Bill (H. 3977) to amend the South Carolina Code of Laws by adding Section 38-55-730 so as to allow insurers to post an insurance policy or endorsement on their website if certain, etc., respectfully
That they have duly and carefully considered the same, and recommend that the same do pass:
RONNIE CROMER for Committee.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Section 38-55-730. Notwithstanding another provision of this section, if a standard property and casualty insurance policy or endorsement does not contain personally identifiable information, an insurer may mail, deliver, or post the policy or endorsement on the insurer's website. If the insurer elects to post an insurance policy or endorsement on the insurer's website in lieu of mailing or delivering the document to the insured, the insurer must comply with the following conditions:
(1) The policy and endorsement must be accessible as long as the policy or endorsement is in force.
(2) After the policy expires, the insurer must maintain and archive the policy and endorsement for five years after the expiration of the policy and shall make the documents available to the party upon request.
(3) The insurer must post the policy and endorsement in a manner that allows the insured to print and save the policy and endorsement using a program or application that is widely available on the Internet and free to use.
(4) The insurer provides the following information in, or simultaneous with, each declarations page provided at the time of issuance of the initial policy and any renewals of that policy:
(a) a description of the exact policy and endorsement form purchased by the insured;
(b) a method by which the insured may obtain, upon request and without charge, a paper copy of the policy; and
(c) the Internet address where the insured's policy and endorsement is posted.
(5) The insurer provides notice, in the format preferred by the insured, of any changes to the form or endorsement, the insured's right to obtain, upon request without charge, a paper copy of a form, and the Internet address where the form and endorsement is posted.
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on May 8, 2023 at 9:01 AM