Current Status Introducing Body:
SenateBill Number: 435Ratification Number: 294Act Number: 289Primary Sponsor: JacksonType of Legislation: GBSubject: Smoking in day care centers prohibitedDate Bill Passed both Bodies: 19940211Computer Document Number: 435Governor's Action: SDate of Governor's Action: 19940301Introduced Date: 19930217Date of Last Amendment: 19930427Last History Body: ------Last History Date: 19940301Last History Type: Act No. 289Scope of Legislation: StatewideAll Sponsors: Jackson Cork Thomas Washington Ford Matthews CourtneyType of Legislation: General Bill
Bill Body Date Action Description CMN Leg Involved ---- ------ ------------ ------------------------------ --- ------------ 435 ------ 19940301 Act No. 289 435 ------ 19940301 Signed by Governor 435 ------ 19940224 Ratified R 294 435 House 19940211 Read third time, enrolled for ratification 435 House 19940210 Read second time, unanimous consent for third reading on next Legislative day 435 House 19940209 Committee Report: Favorable 20 435 House 19930429 Introduced, read first time, 20 referred to Committee 435 Senate 19930428 Read third time, sent to House 435 Senate 19930427 Amended, read second time 435 Senate 19930422 Committee Report: Favorable 13 with amendment 435 Senate 19930217 Introduced, read first time, 13 referred to CommitteeView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
(A289, R294, S435)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 44-95-20, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE PROHIBITION OF SMOKING IN PUBLIC INDOOR AREAS EXCEPT WHERE A SMOKING AREA IS DESIGNATED, SO AS TO INCLUDE IN THE PROHIBITION LICENSED CHILD DAY CARE FACILITIES.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Smoking prohibited in child day care facilities
SECTION 1. Section 44-95-20 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 44-95-20. It is unlawful for any person to smoke, or possess lighted smoking material in any form, in the following public indoor areas except where a smoking area is designated as provided for herein:
(1) public schools, including preschools, except in enclosed private offices and teacher lounges;
(2) child day care facilities, as defined in Section 20-7-2700, which are licensed pursuant to Subarticle 11, Article 13, Chapter 7, Title 20;
(3) health care facilities as defined in Section 44-7-130 of the 1976 Code, except where smoking areas are designated in employee break areas. No section of this chapter shall prohibit or preclude a health care facility from being smoke free;
(4) government buildings (except health care facilities as provided for herein), except that smoking shall be allowed in enclosed private offices and designated areas of employee break areas; provided that smoking policies in the State Capitol and legislative office buildings shall be determined by the office of government having control over that area of the buildings. `Government buildings' shall mean buildings or portions thereof which are leased or operated under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions, except those buildings or portions thereof which are leased to other organizations or corporations;
(6) public transportation vehicles, except for taxicabs; and
(7) arenas and auditoriums of public theatres or public performing art centers; except that smoking areas may be designated in foyers, lobbies, or other common areas; and smoking is permitted as part of a legitimate theatrical performance."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Approved the 1st day of March, 1994.