Scroll to History Page
Scroll to Previous Versions Links List
Scroll to Full Text
Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Current Status Bill Number:View additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
3958Ratification Number: 461Act Number: 125 of 2003Type of Legislation: General Bill GBIntroducing Body: HouseIntroduced Date: 20010418Primary Sponsor: RodgersAll Sponsors: Rodgers, Gilham and RiversDrafted Document Number: l:\council\bills\pt\1409dw01.docDate Bill Passed both Bodies: 20020606Date of Last Amendment: 20020606Governor's Action: U Became law without signature of GovernorDate of Governor's Action: 20030116Subject: Beaufort County Legislative Delegation, appointment powers for boards and commissions devolved upon county council; exceptionsHistory Body Date Action Description Com Leg Involved ______ ________ ______________________________________ _______ ____________ ------ 20031022 Act No. A125 of 2003 ------ 20030116 Became Law without Governor's signature ------ 20020606 Ratified R461 House 20020606 Concurred in Senate amendment, enrolled for ratification Senate 20020606 Amended, read third time, returned to House with amendment Senate 20020522 Amended, read second time, notice of general amendments Senate 20020521 Recalled from Beaufort Delegation 87 SLD Senate 20020226 Committed to Beaufort Delegation 87 SLD Senate 20010424 Introduced, read first time, placed on local and uncontested Calendar without reference House 20010420 Read third time, sent to Senate House 20010419 Read second time, unanimous consent for third reading on Friday 20010420 House 20010418 Introduced, read first time, placed on Calendar without reference Versions of This Bill Revised on April 18, 2001 - Word format Revised on April 24, 2001 - Word format Revised on May 21, 2002 - Word format Revised on May 22, 2002 - Word format Revised on June 6, 2002 - Word format
(A125, R461, H3958 of 2002)
AN ACT TO DEVOLVE UPON THE GOVERNING BODY OF BEAUFORT COUNTY, WITH CERTAIN ENUMERATED EXCEPTIONS, ALL APPOINTMENTS TO OFFICES, BOARDS, AND COMMISSIONS AFFECTING ONLY BEAUFORT COUNTY WHICH BY STATUTE OR RESOLUTION ARE MADE BY OR UPON THE RECOMMENDATION OF THE HOUSE DELEGATION, SENATE DELEGATION, OR JOINT LEGISLATIVE DELEGATION OF BEAUFORT COUNTY.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Certain appointing authority devolved on Beaufort County governing body
SECTION 1. (A) Except as provided in subsection (B), all appointments or recommendations for appointments to offices, boards, and commissions affecting only Beaufort County which by statute or resolution are made by or upon the recommendation of the House Delegation, Senate Delegation, or Joint Legislative Delegation of Beaufort County must be made by or upon the recommendation of a majority of the members of the governing body of Beaufort County.
(B) The application of subsection (A) does not include:
(1) any office elected by the members of the General Assembly in joint session or any office, board, or commission appointed, elected, or recommended by members of the General Assembly for a position representing a judicial circuit or congressional district;
(2) any recommendation for a magistrate appointed as provided in Section 22-1-10;
(3) any recommendation for a master-in-equity appointed as provided in Section 2-19-110;
(4) members of the Beaufort County Board of Elections and Registration;
(5) members of the county transportation committee as provided in Section 12-28-2740;
(6) the Commissioners of Pilotage for the Port of Port Royal as provided in Section 54-15-10;
(7) appointments to the Technical College of the Lowcountry Commission as provided in Section 59-53-910;
(8) any offices, boards, and commissions whose duties and responsibilities are totally within the boundaries of a municipality, which appointments must be made by the governing body of the municipality in which is located a majority of the customers served by that office, board, or commission;
(9) Beaufort-Jasper Higher Education Commission;
(10) Beaufort-Jasper Water and Sewer Authority Board of Directors;
(11) Broad Creek Public Service Commission;
(12) Fripp Island Public Service District;
(13) Hilton Head Island #1 Public Service District;
(14) South Island Public Service District; or
(15) The county Veterans Affairs officer as provided in Section 25-11-40.
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Ratified the 6th day of June, 2002.
Became law without the signature of the Governor -- 1/16/03. -- L.
This web page was last updated on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 11:31 A.M.