Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Reps. Wilkins, J. Brown, Cato, Chellis, Govan, Harrell, Harrison, J.E. Smith, W.D. Smith, Townsend and Witherspoon
Document Path: l:\council\bills\dka\3636dw03.doc
Introduced in the House on June 3, 2003
Introduced in the Senate on June 4, 2003
Last Amended on June 4, 2003
Rejected by the Senate on June 4, 2003
Summary: Sine die adjournment
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 6/3/2003 House Introduced, adopted, sent to Senate HJ-107 6/4/2003 Senate Introduced, placed on calendar without reference SJ-21 6/4/2003 Senate Amended SJ-68
View the latest legislative information at the LPITS web site
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
June 4, 2003
Introduced by Reps. Wilkins, J. Brown, Cato, Chellis, Govan, Harrell, Harrison, J.E. Smith, W.D. Smith, Townsend and Witherspoon
S. Printed 6/4/03--S.
Read the first time June 4, 2003.
TO PROVIDE THAT PURSUANT TO ARTICLE III, SECTION 21 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THIS STATE AND SECTION 2-1-180 OF THE 1976 CODE WHEN THE RESPECTIVE HOUSES OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY ADJOURN ON THURSDAY, JUNE 5, 2003, NOT LATER THAN 5:00 P.M., EACH HOUSE SHALL STAND ADJOURNED TO MEET ON TUESDAY, JUNE 17, 2003 AT 12:00 P.M., IN STATEWIDE SESSION, AND TO CONTINUE IN STATEWIDE SESSION, IF NECESSARY, UNTIL WEDNESDAY, JUNE 18, 2003, NOT LATER THAN 5:00 P.M., FOR THE CONSIDERATION OF SPECIFIED MATTERS; AND TO PROVIDE THAT WHEN EACH HOUSE ADJOURNS NOT LATER THAN 5:00 P.M., ON WEDNESDAY, JUNE 18, 2003, THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY SHALL STAND ADJOURNED SINE DIE.
Amend Title To Conform
Be it resolved by the House of Representatives, the Senate concurring:
(A) Pursuant to the provisions of Article III, Section 21 of the Constitution of this State and Section 2-1-180 of the 1976 Code, the mandatory Sine Die adjournment date for the General Assembly is extended, as authorized by law, to permit the General Assembly to continue in session after Thursday, June 5, 2003, under the terms and conditions stipulated in this resolution and for this purpose each house agrees that when the House of Representatives and Senate adjourn on Thursday, June 5, 2003, not later than 5:00 p.m., each house shall stand adjourned to meet in statewide session on Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 12:00 p.m. and to continue in statewide session, if necessary, not later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 18, 2003, for the following matters and subject to the following conditions, as applicable:
(1) receipt and consideration of gubernatorial vetoes;
(2) receipt, consideration, and confirmation of appointments;
(3) ratification of acts;
(4) consideration of resolutions affecting the extended session where these resolutions are adopted by a two-thirds vote of the members present and voting in the House of Representatives and a two-thirds vote of members present and voting in the Senate;
(5) receipt and consideration of local legislation which has the unanimous consent of the affected delegation;
(6) receipt and consideration of amendments on bills received from the other house, but only limited to concurrence, nonconcurrence, adjourn debate on, and amendments to these bills;
(7) receipt, consideration, and disposition of conference and free conference reports, appointment of conference and free conference committees, and receipt and consideration of messages pertaining to these reports and appointments;
(8) receipt and consideration of resolutions expressing sympathy or congratulations; and
(9) receipt and consideration of any resolution setting a Public Service Commission election and scheduling and conducting a joint assembly in the Hall of the House of Representatives for the purpose of holding this election.
(B) The President Pro Tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives may select a mutually convenient time for the ratification of Acts between June 5, 2003, and June 17, 2003.
(C)(1) The Senate and the House of Representatives shall meet in joint assembly in the Hall of the House of Representatives on Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 1:00 p.m. to elect a successor to the Honorable Donald W. Beatty, Judge of the Circuit Court for the Seventh Judicial Circuit, Seat 2, whose term expires June 30, 2006.
(2) All nominations must be made by the Chairman of the Judicial Merit Selection Commission and no further nominating or seconding speeches may be made by members of the General Assembly on behalf of any candidate.
(D) When each house adjourns not later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 18, 2003, the General Assembly shall stand adjourned Sine Die.
This web page was last updated on Monday, December 7, 2009 at 2:55 P.M.