Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Reps. Allison, Lucas, Erickson, Bradley and Kirby
Document Path: l:\council\bills\rt\17832wab21.docx
Introduced in the House on January 12, 2021
Introduced in the Senate on May 4, 2021
Last Amended on April 29, 2021
Currently residing in the Senate Committee on Education
Summary: Educator preparation
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1/12/2021 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 250) 1/12/2021 House Referred to Committee on Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 250) 4/22/2021 House Committee report: Favorable with amendment Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 25) 4/26/2021 Scrivener's error corrected 4/27/2021 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Erickson, Bradley, Kirby 4/28/2021 House Debate adjourned (House Journal-page 37) 4/29/2021 House Amended (House Journal-page 25) 4/29/2021 House Read second time (House Journal-page 25) 4/29/2021 House Roll call Yeas-110 Nays-1 (House Journal-page 25) 5/3/2021 Scrivener's error corrected 5/4/2021 House Read third time and sent to Senate (House Journal-page 7) 5/4/2021 Senate Introduced and read first time (Senate Journal-page 5) 5/4/2021 Senate Referred to Committee on Education (Senate Journal-page 5)
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
April 29, 2021
Introduced by Reps. Allison, Lucas, Erickson, Bradley and Kirby
S. Printed 4/29/21--H. [SEC 5/3/21 1:12 PM]
Read the first time January 12, 2021.
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 59-26-35 SO AS TO IMPROVE THE MEANS FOR EVALUATING EDUCATOR PREPARATION PROGRAMS BY PROVIDING FOR THE ANNUAL DEVELOPMENT AND PUBLICATION OF THE SOUTH CAROLINA TEACHER PREPARATION REPORT CARD; AND BY ADDING SECTION 59-26-120 SO AS TO PROVIDE THE STATE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION SHALL PROVIDE CERTAIN EDUCATOR PREPARATION PROGRAMS WITH CERTAIN INFORMATION REGARDING GRADUATES OF THOSE PROGRAMS, TO PROVIDE EDUCATOR PREPARATION PROGRAMS MAY NOT SHARE IDENTIFIABLE EDUCATOR DATA WITH THIRD PARTIES WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT, AND TO PROVIDE THIS INFORMATION IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT.
Amend Title To Conform
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Chapter 26, Title 59 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 59-26-35. (A) The State Board of Education, with the assistance of the Department of Education, the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education, the Center for Research on Teacher Education (SC-TEACHER), and the Revenue and Fiscal Affairs Office, shall form a commission to conduct a detailed assessment of the current data infrastructure, develop metrics, determine weightings, construct a unified data upload system, and construct public and private facing data reports, including, but not limited to, annually publishing before November first an online report card known as the 'South Carolina Educator Preparation Report Card'. The report card must be made available on the State Department of Education and the Commission on Higher Education's websites. The commission shall develop a format that each educator preparation program must use on its website that shows all required information regarding its respective program. The report card shall evaluate the ability of educator preparation programs, including alternative programs, to prepare new teachers for success in South Carolina's classrooms, as well as describe the school and district contexts in which completers work. The report card must include data on a variety of measures to provide an overall picture of how well each educator preparation program prepares effective educators and meets state goals, including, but not limited to, the following:
(1) number of undergraduate and graduate completers;
(2) placement and one, three, and five year retention rates by districts and regions of the State;
(3) performance-based assessments of candidates;
(4) ability of program to recruit a strong, diverse cohort of candidates and prepare them to teach in the content areas of greatest need;
(5) quality of clinical experiences, including access to qualified and trained mentors, time in the field, and opportunities to apply knowledge and skills in the clinical setting;
(6) effectiveness of individuals who completed a provider's program and are employed in a public school classroom. The information must be differentiated by provider and, where applicable, across content areas; and
(7) graduate and employer satisfaction.
(B) Under consultation with the commission, SC-TEACHER shall develop metrics and instrumentation to evaluate the working conditions of educators, extent and quality of mentoring available to new educators, and universal graduate and employer satisfaction surveys.
(C) The State Department of Education, each educator preparation program, and each school district shall report all data to SC-TEACHER as requested by the State Board of Education to complete the evaluation."
SECTION 2. Chapter 26, Title 59 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 59-26-120. (A) The State Department of Education annually before December first shall provide each college of education and state-approved educator preparation program with information regarding its graduates. Information must be provided to a college of education or educator preparation program regarding each of its individual educator graduates and must include, but is not limited to:
(1) linking teacher candidates from each program with valid, reliable, nationally normed performance assessments that are data and evidence-based and can assess teaching effectiveness;
(2) results of ADEPT Evaluation by individual educator graduate;
(3) records of employee certification by individual educator graduate; and
(4) other information requested by the programs designed to enhance the ability of the college of education or educator preparation program to provide improved education services.
(B) A college of education or educator preparation program receiving individualized information regarding its graduates pursuant to subsection (A) shall:
(1) develop and use a unique system for identifying each individual educator graduate for whom it receives such individualized information;
(2) strictly maintain the confidentiality of all information that can be used to identify an individual educator graduate for whom it receives such information; and
(3) not share such information with a third party without the express written consent of the educator.
(C) Information provided to a college of education or educator preparation program pursuant to this section is not subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act."
SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on May 5, 2021 at 8:42 AM