Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Senators Kimbrell, Rice, Talley, M. Johnson, Harpootlian and Loftis
Document Path: l:\s-res\jk\008boos.kmm.jk.docx
Introduced in the Senate on March 16, 2021
Introduced in the House on April 7, 2022
Last Amended on April 5, 2022
Currently residing in the House Committee on Education and Public Works
Summary: Booster clubs
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 3/16/2021 Senate Introduced and read first time (Senate Journal-page 5) 3/16/2021 Senate Referred to Committee on Education (Senate Journal-page 5) 3/30/2022 Senate Committee report: Favorable with amendment Education (Senate Journal-page 9) 3/31/2022 Scrivener's error corrected 4/5/2022 Senate Committee Amendment Adopted (Senate Journal-page 26) 4/5/2022 Senate Read second time (Senate Journal-page 26) 4/5/2022 Senate Roll call Ayes-38 Nays-0 (Senate Journal-page 26) 4/6/2022 Scrivener's error corrected 4/6/2022 Senate Read third time and sent to House (Senate Journal-page 30) 4/7/2022 House Introduced and read first time 4/7/2022 House Referred to Committee on Education and Public Works
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
COMMITTEE AMENDMENT ADOPTED
April 5, 2022
Introduced by Senators Kimbrell, Rice, Talley, M. Johnson, Harpootlian and Loftis
S. Printed 4/5/22--S. [SEC 4/6/22 1:31 PM]
Read the first time March 16, 2021.
TO AMEND CHAPTER 17, TITLE 59 OF THE 1976 CODE, RELATING TO SCHOOL DISTRICTS, BY ADDING SECTION 59-17-170, TO PROVIDE THAT A PERSON WITH CERTAIN CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS IS PROHIBITED FROM SERVING AS THE CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER OF A BOOSTER CLUB, TO PROVIDE THAT EACH BOOSTER CLUB WITHIN A SCHOOL DISTRICT SHALL ANNUALLY REGISTER WITH THE SCHOOL BOARD, TO PROVIDE THAT THE SCHOOL BOARD MUST RUN A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK TO DETERMINE IF THE CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER OF A BOOSTER CLUB IS PROHIBITED FROM SERVING IN THAT ROLE DUE A CRIMINAL CONVICTION, AND TO DEFINE NECESSARY TERMS.
Amend Title To Conform
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Chapter 17, Title 59 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 59-17-170. (A) For the purposes of this section:
(1) 'Booster club' means a parent-led organization, not directly controlled by a school or school district, that is formed with the primary purpose of raising funds for the school, school district programs, interscholastic athletics, or afterschool activities.
(2) 'Treasurer' means a person or persons who maintains custody of a booster club's financial records and/or who has signatory authority on all of the booster club's transactions, accounts, contracts, checks, or other instruments or undertakings of any kind.
(B)(1) A person who was convicted of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to, a felony, a violation of Chapter 13 of Title 16, or a violation of Chapter 14 of Title 16 is prohibited from serving as the treasurer of a booster club.
(2) A treasurer who was convicted of, or who pled guilty or nolo contendere to, a crime identified in item (1) must immediately resign, and a new person must be assigned to that role within the booster club. A booster club is prohibited from disbursing funds for any purpose until a new person is installed as its treasurer.
(C)(1) Each booster club within a school district must annually register with the school district board of trustees no later than August first. The registration shall include the name of the booster club, its purpose, the name of each of the booster club's officers, including its treasurer, and other information required by the school district board of trustees.
(2) A booster club that fails to register by August first is prohibited from disbursing any funds for any purpose until registration has been completed.
(D)(1) Upon the receipt of a booster club's registration, a school district board of trustees shall request a state criminal records check, including fingerprints, from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division of the treasurer. The school district board of trustees shall immediately notify a booster club if the criminal records check reveals that its treasurer is prohibited from serving in that role for the booster club pursuant to subsection (B).
(2) A school district board of trustees may charge a fee to offset the costs associated with the state criminal records check."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on April 7, 2022 at 11:33 AM