Scroll to History Page
Scroll to Previous Versions Links List
Scroll to Full Text
Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Current Status Bill Number:View additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
3516Ratification Number: 115Act Number: 410Type of Legislation: General Bill GBIntroducing Body: HouseIntroduced Date: 20010208Primary Sponsor: AltmanAll Sponsors: AltmanDrafted Document Number: l:\council\bills\pt\1197dw01.docDate Bill Passed both Bodies: 20010529Date of Last Amendment: 20010522Governor's Action: U Became law without signature of GovernorDate of Governor's Action: 20020110Subject: Charleston County, appointments for boards, commissions, etc.; authority devolved upon county councilHistory Body Date Action Description Com Leg Involved ______ ________ ______________________________________ _______ ____________ ------ 20021017 Act No. A410 ------ 20020110 Unsigned, became law without signature of Governor ------ 20010605 Ratified R115 House 20010529 Concurred in Senate amendment, enrolled for ratification House 20010524 Debate adjourned on Senate amendments until Tuesday, 20010529 Senate 20010522 Amended, read third time, returned to House with amendment Senate 20010509 Returned to the third reading Calendar Senate 20010509 Reconsidered vote whereby read third time Senate 20010509 Read third time, returned to House with amendment Senate 20010508 Amended, read second time, unanimous consent for third reading on Wednesday, 20010509 Senate 20010220 Introduced, read first time, placed on local and uncontested Calendar without reference House 20010215 Read third time, sent to Senate House 20010214 Read second time ------ 20010214 Scrivener's error corrected House 20010213 Charleston Delegation report: Favorable97 HLD House 20010208 Introduced, read first time, 97 HLD referred to Charleston Delegation Versions of This Bill Revised on February 13, 2001 - Word format Revised on February 14, 2001 - Word format Revised on February 20, 2001 - Word format Revised on May 8, 2001 - Word format Revised on May 22, 2001 - Word format
(A410, R115, H3516 of 2001)
AN ACT TO DEVOLVE THE AUTHORITY FOR APPOINTMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR APPOINTMENTS FOR BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS FROM THE LEGISLATIVE DELEGATION REPRESENTING CHARLESTON COUNTY TO THE GOVERNING BODY OF CHARLESTON COUNTY AND TO PROVIDE EXCEPTIONS.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. (A) Except as provided in subsection (B), all appointments or recommendations for appointments to offices, boards, and commissions affecting only Charleston County which by statute or resolution are made by or upon the recommendation of the House Delegation, Senate Delegation, or Joint Legislative Delegation of Charleston County must be made by or upon the recommendation of a majority of the members of the governing body of Charleston County.
(B) The application of subsection (A) does not include:
(1) any office elected by the members of the General Assembly in joint session or any office, board, or commission appointed, elected, or recommended by members of the General Assembly for a position representing a judicial circuit or congressional district;
(2) any recommendation for a magistrate appointed as provided in Section 22-1-10;
(3) members of the Charleston County Board of Registration;
(4) members of the Charleston County Election Commission;
(5) members of the Charleston County Aviation Authority;
(6) members of the county transportation committee as provided in Section 12-28-2740;
(7) the county Veterans Affairs officer as provided in Section 25-11-40;
(8) the Commissioners of Pilotage for the Port of Charleston as provided in Section 54-15-40;
(9) appointments to the Area Commission on Technical Education as provided in Section 59-53-410;
(10) the filling of a vacancy on the Board of Trustees of the Charleston County School District;
(11) any board or commission that has members representing counties other than Charleston County; or
(12) any offices, boards, and commissions whose duties and responsibilities are totally within the boundaries of a municipality, which appointments must be made by the governing body of the municipality in which is located a majority of the customers served by that office, board, or commission.
(C) On the effective date of this act, the application of subsection (A) does not include members of the Charleston County Park, Recreation and Tourist Commission for the Charleston County Park, Recreation and Tourist District. However, on and after January 1, 2003, subsection (A) applies to the appointment of members of the Charleston County Park, Recreation and Tourist Commission for the Charleston County Park, Recreation and Tourist District.
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Ratified the 5th day of June, 2001.
Became law without the signature of the Governor -- 1/10/02.
This web page was last updated on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 11:21 A.M.